Wooler

Wooler lies in north Northumberland, nestling beneath the Cheviot Hills at the edge of the Northumberland National Park, with high moor land to the south; low farmland to the north and beyond to the Scottish Borders. Settlement of the Glendale area dates back to the Bronze age and archaeological remains in the upland parts of the parish are extensive. Little is thought to have changed throughout the Iron Age or Roman times. In the 7th Century, St Cuthbert journeyed from Melrose Abbey (Scottish Borders) to Lindisfarne Abbey (Holy Island) via Wooler. In 1107 Wooler was described by its 1st Baron Robert de Musco Campoas, as being "situated in an ill-cultivated country under the influence of vast mountains..."

The 15th Century saw Henry 'Hotspur' Percy and his troops defeat the Scots at Humbleton (or Holmedon) Hill.In reaction to continued disturbances along the English-Scottish border the early castle was replaced in the 16th century with a new tower making Wooler an important link in the chain of forts featured in a plan of the border defences drawn up by Christopher Dacre in 1584.By the 18th century farming and a wool industry began to develop. Wooler grew to be the only market town in the region of north Northumberland known as Glendale and prospered when the main road to Morpeth was turnpiked in the late 18th century.

Wooler is now a quiet market town with a population of about 2000. It is a good centre for walking, cycling & horse riding and is one of the main towns along the popular 62 mile long distance footpath of St Cuthbert's Way which passes Glendale Middle School.